Independent Choices Greater Manchester (ICGM) is a Greater Manchester-based professional organisation, with over 40 years of experience supporting, advising and working with victims of domestic abuse & violence in Greater Manchester.
Our organisation consists of 4 key areas:
- The Greater Manchester Domestic Abuse Helpline, including The Community Helpline Service with services available in Urdu & Punjabi
- Training for professionals, the public, victims & survivors of domestic abuse & violence
- Community Engagement across Greater Manchester
- Our volunteer service – we recruit and train volunteers to work alongside and support our services
We also manage and run the End the Fear website. This is a Greater Manchester focussed website whose primary focus is to provide key information and support for victims and survivors of domestic violence and abuse, as well as for their family, friends, professionals and perpetrators. You can also find regular job vacancies posted for new positions within the Domestic Abuse/Violence and VAWG (Violence Against Women and Girls) sectors. We also post regular news and reports articles, especially curated for our readers and subscribers.
As an organisation, our key charity’s objectives are:
- To provide support for victims and survivors of domestic violence and abuse for people aged 16 or over and their families, throughout the United Kingdom
- To advance public and professional education and understanding of the issues of domestic abuse/ violence throughout the United Kingdom.
We are proud of our organisational values run that through our service and all the work we do. Our values are as follows:
- Empowering – giving people the means to take control of their lives through informed choices; giving people the space to talk openly without feeling judged, in a safe environment
- Integrity – sincere, open and genuine with who we are and what we do; compassionate treating everyone with dignity and respect, supportive and non-judgmental
- Enabling change – through collaborative working, striving for excellence, raising awareness and encouraging discussion, educating individuals and wider community about domestic abuse
- Ambitious & outward looking – dynamic organisation striving for a better future, passionate about what we do, providing excellent quality services
- Inclusive – provide a service to a wide, diverse community where multiple disadvantages may exist
ICGM’s Statement on Violence Against Women & Girls (VAWG)
Independent Choices Greater Manchester supports all victims and survivors of domestic abuse and understand that anyone can be victim regardless of gender, sex, sexuality, race, nationality and socio-economic status however we do see domestic abuse a Violence Against Women & Girls (VAWG) issues and recognise that victims of this are disproportionately women with the majority of perpetrators being male